I was struggling to think of a recipe to represent St. Patrick's Day. I didn't want anything too green or sparkly. And then I thought of my favourite Irish beer; Guinness. These brownies and small but mighty!! They are super rich and go really well with the Baileys Whipped Cream. The recipe makes plenty of the whipped cream which is great for adding to your coffee!
Guinness Brownies with Baileys Whip Cream
Makes 16 brownies
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 oz dark chocolate
8 oz semisweet chocolate
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup Guinness beer Room temperature
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare your pan. Grease an 8x8 inch glass or metal pan. Cut an 8x12 inch piece of parchment paper and place it in the pan. Trim the parchment to just above the edge if needed. See photo. The parchment will help you lift the brownies out of the pan to cut them.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
- Place an inch of water in a pot on the stove. Heat at medium heat. Add chocolate and butter to a metal bowl and place over the hot water. Stir until melted. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat the eggs and sugar. Add about a 1/2 cup of the warm chocolate to the egg mixture and beat for 30 seconds. Add the flour mixture and the chocolate to the eggs and sugar. Beat until smooth. Gently beat in the Guinness.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and top with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Cool completely.
See below for Baileys Whipped Cream
Baileys Whipped Cream
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup Baileys Irish Cream
- Using a mixer, beat cream on high until soft peaks begin to form.
- Add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add the Baileys and mix at low speed until combined. Use immediately.