Since St. Patricks Day is on a Tuesday this year, I planned the meal for the crockpot. The cabbage needs to go into the crockpot about one hour before serving which gives you just enough time to make the Cheddar and Chive Irish Soda Bread.
Corned Beef with Cabbage and Potatoes
1 corned beef brisket (see below for a photo of the one I used)
2 large carrots peeled and cut in 4
2 stalks of celery, roughly chopped
1/2 bulb of fennel, core removed, roughly chopped
1/2 Spanish onion, sliced
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in half
5 thyme sprigs, tied together
1/2 head of cabbage, cut in 8ths
- Place carrots, celery, fennel, onion, potatoes and thyme in the bottom of a crockpot. Season with black pepper.
- Place the corned beef on top of the vegetables. Often corned beef says you can cook in the bag. This is not the recipe for that. Please remove all packaging
- Add enough water to just cover the beef and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- During the final hour of cooking, add the cabbage to the top of the meat and cook for one hour or until tender.
- Discard the thyme. Place all vegetables on a serving platter, slice beef and place on top.